I am not blind

It’s the day after my laser eye surgery and I’m very happy with the results so far and it hasn’t even been 24 hours (not for 30 mins) since I had the treatment.

I know quite a few people that have had the treatment and I’ve read a lot about it online to make sure I was prepared for the day.  I was comforted by the fact that most people said the treatment was easy and straightforward and how you were in-and-out in no time at all.  Maybe I’m a bit wimpier than most people.

The actual treatment was simple and pain free, however the “intralase” (creating the flap) was quite traumatic and painful in parts.  The doctor had to keep telling me to breathe normally because I was holding my breath (scared and the pain). 

They put eye-drops in to numb the eye and then they insert a clamp to hold the eye open and prevent blinking.  Then they insert a ring around they eye and the doctor says “you’ll feel a bit of pressure against the eye”.  Translation:  It will feel like I’m pushing your eye through the back of your head.  Then they lower the intralase equipment on to your eye and again you feel like it’s crushing your eyeball.  It only lasts about a minute per eye but I found it quite traumatic.

Once that is done the doctor opens the flaps and the treatment begins.  The doctors tells you how long it will take for the treatment to take place (in seconds) and that you’ll hear a ticking noise and smell some burning (your eye burning).  My treatment only took about 41 secs for one eye and 38 for the other and about 15 secs extra for each eye for the Wavefront.

After the treatment (less than 10 mins) I had some protective shields taped over my eyes and I was taken to a dark room to sit for 20 mins.  The nurse comes in and goes through the after treatment care and I had my wife with me at that point to make sure she was taking it all in because my memory is useless and I had other things on my mind at that point! 

You see the doctor quickly again at that point and they make you read the eye chart and you should be able to read the top line at that point (which I did).

Today at 10:30 I had my follow-up appointment with another eye doctor to check the flaps that were created on my cornea and to see how my sight was progressing.  He said that my flaps were great and that there was no inflammation.  He asked me to read the eye chart with each eye and I had 20/16 with my left eye and 20/30 with my right eye.  20/30 is driving standard.

He said not to worry about the right eye at the moment because it is still early days.  He said to be patient because it takes about three months for the vision to settle completely.

As for how I can see now.  I can see quite a long ways and it really is amazing.  Yeah, it’s not perfect at the moment but it is only the first day and it was a surgical procedure.  I’m still amazed that I can look outside and see for a long ways with clarity.

I’ve got some eye drops to take every four hours for 7 days (anti-biotics) and some for 10 days (steroids) and some others for three months (tears).  I’ve got to wear some eye protection at night when I’m sleeping for 7 days to make sure I don’t rub my eyes in my sleep.  I’m not supposed to run for two weeks either!  Two weeks!  They said that is the minimum so I’ll leave it at that.  I’m going back for another appointment on 17th September so I’ll ask then if it is okay to run again.

My initial verdict (as I haven’t fully healed yet) is that it is definitely worth the money and I would recommend it to anyone with glasses.

, ,

Comments are closed.