Long Run of Pain

Shin splints…. aren’t they just the best thing ever?  Especially when you’re attempting to carry out a simple task as a long (supposedly easy) run?  No, they suck.

I ran just over 10km this morning in aid of Janathon and my health (not in that order), and it wasn’t easy.  I had pain in my shins for about half the time and it wasn’t until then that they finally went numb and allowed me to complete the run in relative comfort.  It sucks because I find myself wanting to stop not because I’m out of breath, but because I’m a wimp with the pain.

Just gotta keep stretching and they’ll go away in time.  They always do.

Also, you may or may not have noticed that all of my runs are on a treadmill at the moment.  That’s because I haven’t been running in a few months and I’m now a bit of a fatty.  My confidence is shaken and I don’t want to run on the roads until I feel a bit better in myself and my running.  I’m hoping I’ll be doing my long runs on the roads in the next couple of weeks but we’ll see how things work out.

Pain and lack of confidence aren’t going to stop me from succeeding though and I will continue to plod along to bring myself back to where I used to be!  Yo-yo dieting?  pfffft.  I’m a yo-yo runner!

Besides the run it’s been a nice relaxing day chilling out with my family and having a lovely roast dinner.  I’m looking forward to another day off tomorrow before returning to a four-day work week.

I’m off to read some Janathon blogs now!  Good luck to all my fellow Janathoners and keep up the good work.

Distance Covered Today: 10.23km

Total for the Month: 15.96km

, ,

7 Responses to “Long Run of Pain”

1. Joggernotablogger 02/01/2011 at 18:56 #

You could get some squishy insoles for your trainers…always good for shin splints :o)

2. Highway Kind 02/01/2011 at 19:03 #

Shin splints are not nice at all. I hope you find a way of exercising without making them worse.

Anyway take care and have a good January

3. jonathan 02/01/2011 at 20:06 #

Nice one – although maybe your shin splints are trying to tell you something :=(

I don’t know much about treadmill running but have you angled the belt up a couple of degrees?

(Nice theme)

4. RunHelenRun 02/01/2011 at 21:12 #

When I first started running I used to hate running outside incase anyone saw me all out of breathe and rubbish and if I did manage to get out the door I’d go really slowly and not push myself, worried someone might laugh at me for being all untfit.

Now I really avoid running indoors instead and love it out on the road.

I hope you get your confidence make and get out there, running outside is so much more fun.

5. Chris 02/01/2011 at 21:57 #

or build your distance back up more slowly? It’s a long month. Longest of the year, I think.

6. kevin foreman 03/01/2011 at 09:24 #

some good miles, but watch those shin splints, they can be a bugger. Happy running, and happy roast dinners..mmmmm… :-)

7. Seb 01/09/2011 at 03:45 #

Shin splints are so annoying. Just have to take it easy.